View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Tear apart my mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater05 View Post
So i feel that this is the best mix I've done to date... not that I have that many under my belt anyways.

This is one of three songs that I did for the "Advanced" semester at my school. And even though I think it sounds pretty good and I'm proud of it I know that it still isn't at the same level as the pro's.

I'm just looking for some advice on what it's missing to help me keep getting better.

http://soundcloud.com/slater05/pieces

If you like you can also check out the other 2 songs I did at www.mikeslatermusic.com

Feel free to be as brutal as you like as long as it's constructive
Hi,

I'de give you a job if i had one to give

If you've done that on a laptop you've done a stunning job! Well you've done a great job anyway.

Personally would like the snare to be sitting higher in the mix and a bit more defined as a snare sound, i found the mix can fall apart a bit if the snare isn't punching through.

Overall to my taste a bit too much in the 6k-10k region, as the hat and cymbals can be a bit bright and fatiguing at high levels. would go for a bit more 1k-2k region to open the mix out a bit.

The level from soundcloud was -4 dbfs peak? Is your mix that low? i', sure other soundcloud tracks are at full level about -0.3 dbfs

Wrock on....

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.