View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM

Default Re: I am having a problem with recording with my set-up.

Darryl Ramm,

I am trying to install the original OS x 10.5.7 that came with my MBP. I finally was able to get it to install it. But I had to partition the disc to the original Hitachi 320 Gb drive 5400 rpm internal drive. From there I have been able to update it to 10.5.8. From there I figured I could then update it to Snow Leopard which I think is 10.6.x. I bought this disc when Snow Leopard came out.

Since I had to once reload everything a couple of years before this once and nothing went wrong at that time, I figured it would be the easy route to go. You know a new install of everything. However, this was not the case and I have stood, sat, paced and sat in front of my MBP the whole time. I have sent error reports to Apple when they have come up, but usually I just get, "An Error has occurred restart and use the disc utilities to repair the disc then restart and install."

I have went back more than once and did this. Repair, Verify and both Verify and Repair Permissions. The install would then start, go to the point were it was close to finishing ... i.e. the 17 to 7 minute mark on the install page, then abruptly stop go to the color of my opening screen and either give me the "Message" again and sometimes the error report but it did not go there every time just after I was trying to install Snow Leopard. Oh, and the error page was pretty long and did not know if it would help by sending it here. Obviously a mistake.

But I am now tapping out this message on my MBP with just Leopard 10.5.8 installed on the new WD drive so I could communicate with people here. I have been to this point several times before, but each time I go beyond this stage it does and will not install past this point and usually just gives the "Message".

I have saw the adapters you are talking about and the small desktop devices you speak of but I have only looked at them, why, because I though "I have the discs I need, they have all worked before, I know it is the long way to do it but it is what I have on hand right now. So it is what I went with.

As a side here, I have been building my own PCs and using Pro Tools since the Digi 002 came out. I have used this system with the MBP since 2009, never had major any problems I could not figure out with it till recently. Everything changed when after I updated to PT 11. So this is why I came here for help. If you left me know exactly what it is I need to send you to help figure this out I am all ears.

Now, I know you do not know this but I am recovering from a serious illness that kept me down for almost three years and money for me is a bit tight. I do not know what means are but I have had to go on disability because of this and will not be able to work my normal job of working in a steel service center as a 'Burner'. I worked on a 15' X 85' CNC cutting machine using six torches and natural gas and oxygen cutting hot rolled steel plate from a 1/4" to 7" thick into any thing shape you can draw with your finger. Unfortunately 15 years of this ruined my neck back and major joints and I am trying to make my advocation, my job because after I was laid off in March of 2009 I have never been able to pass a physical to get another job like I had and am now to old to get the entry level jobs. So I was not prepared for this to happen and my illness pretty much wiped out any saving I had. So yeah, things are tough.

But I have been playing, performing, writing recording, producing, teaching and most any other thing you can do in the local music scene since 1967 when I started with my fist real band in high school. I have been to college, Music Theory/Composition and Recording Arts (3.5 year 3.8 GPA) and Tech Services (1 year 3.9 GPA) and have been on a couple of short tours with people as an musician and an engineer.

That being said, I now have problems playing any instruments and I was classically trained on six different instruments. The reason is I have too much root nerve damage in my spine and neck and what does the rest is arthritis every where and disc disease does. But I have 5800 watt 32 channel digital live sound/record system, a remote record system with higher end pres and outboard gear and a home system. Which I still can work and I want to make my job to have enough to live on with SSDI and then SSA in two years when I turn 65.

So now that you know the full story is there anything I can send you to help. I am going to use the link in your reply about the USB drive cause I have a couple of those around the house here the biggest being a 32 GB. So I will look back here later to see what you sent to lend a had and thanks for your reply for I know you are trying to help and i want to help you help me ... if that is possible.

Till then, try and have some fun out there today, you know I will ben trying ... Thanks again,

CTG