View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Avid

Default Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugi View Post
Hi all,

I have a new machine. I've done all the optimising as recommended.
I have a few TDM plugs on, then I add Amplitube 2 (latest version). I get the stutter, repeat and stop as reported by others. I reduced from 8 to 7 processors and managed to run the session for a bit longer. In terms of length - the first time (8 processors), I hit 'play' and got the problem. On 7 proc... I played for a good 30 seconds.

I'm not overly hacked off, as I expect some teething troubles. If I get this kind of problem, I generally put a plug-in on a track and then, when I'm happy with it, I record it to another track as an audio file. Luddite, but it works as a get-by. Here's my general question: is reducing to 7 sufficient? i.e. - will reducing to 6 be better? 5? 4? You get the idea: is there a general optimum? I have 6GB RAM, but have more ordered that will take it to 22GB. Will that make a difference? (I'm never sure about the RAM and/or CPU difference in terms of what the machine eats).
If you go to 7 processors, you should set your CPU Usage at 80-85%. Is this where you have it now?

Typically going down to 7 should work fine, however it really depends on how many plug-ins you have in the session that aren't fully RTAS optimized. The more of those you have, the more you'll need to lower the number of processors. Keep in mind - by lowering the number of processors you're not really 'losing' anything. Processors dedicated to RTAS can only run real-time optimized plug-ins. If you have plug-ins like Amplitube in your session, you need to give them processor time separate from RTAS processes - so those processors still get used, just for different things.

I doubt you should need more than 6GB RAM.

Also, keep in mind that we have seen issues on systems that were upgraded from Tiger, rather than having a clean install of Leopard. If you install Pro Tools 8 over a previous version that can cause problems as well - doing a clean install of both versions and then reinstall just Pro Tools 8 will likely clear things up.

It is imperative that you only have compatible plug-ins installed. Having any incompatible ones installed, even if they're not used in the session, can cause all kinds of issues.

Pro Tools Plug-In Compatibility Grid