View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 AM

Smile Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Hi all,

I have a new machine. I've done all the optimising as recommended.
I have a few TDM plugs on, then I add Amplitube 2 (latest version). I get the stutter, repeat and stop as reported by others. I reduced from 8 to 7 processors and managed to run the session for a bit longer. In terms of length - the first time (8 processors), I hit 'play' and got the problem. On 7 proc... I played for a good 30 seconds.

I'm not overly hacked off, as I expect some teething troubles. If I get this kind of problem, I generally put a plug-in on a track and then, when I'm happy with it, I record it to another track as an audio file. Luddite, but it works as a get-by. Here's my general question: is reducing to 7 sufficient? i.e. - will reducing to 6 be better? 5? 4? You get the idea: is there a general optimum? I have 6GB RAM, but have more ordered that will take it to 22GB. Will that make a difference? (I'm never sure about the RAM and/or CPU difference in terms of what the machine eats).

I'm just looking for a wee bit of advice, and I certainly won't be shouting back "You said this would help and it didn't!" or similar. If there are recommendation - I'll give them a try and post my findings, as quite often, when I'm searching posts, that just the sort of info that can really help. I've never found a load of posts complaining about how much cash has been spent to be actually helpful!

Anyhoo - If Mr. Digi is reading this - please let me know your thoughts. I'll try them out next week (on location in about two hours for the rest of the week).

Ta much.

Specs: dual quad 2.8GHz MacPro. Separate partition for audio samples. Separate internal drive for PT sessions. 6GB RAM. The machine is not used for anything other than audio. OSX 10.5.5, PT8.