View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 PM

Default Re: iTunes Issues - Workaround or What's better

So Jack, although you have sold me on wavelab for creating a CD image, I found a solution to the problem I was actually trying to fix that is free.

I was trying to get iTunes to file my music under the actual artist and album instead of under 'unknown artist/unknown album'. Using wavelab to create a CD image and ripping it to iTunes would have done that. But rethinking this, I thought perhaps using a .wav to mp4a(alac) converter (e.g. like NCH Switch Audio File Coverter) and a metadata editor e.g. like Mp3tag from widows store) before putting the file in iTunes might be cheaper and easier.

In trying to prototype this, I tried using iTunes to do the file conversion (File>Convert) using a .wav file that I had in iTunes already. However, I found that by editing the metadata in iTunes first and then converting it to .mp4a, iTunes created the desired directory structure so that the mp4a is under my 'artist/album'. Then I just needed to delete the original .wav version out of iTunes and I'm good.

Workflow in detail:
1) Generate a .wav file from protools (has no metadata).
2) Put .wav in iTunes (by copying it into the 'Automatically Add to iTune' directory). iTunes files it in 'usr/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album'.
3) In iTunes, Resently Added shows the song just added. Right click to edit 'song info' to put in an artist, album, album artist, and composer. I now see an album in iTunes with my artist and album, but the .wav file is still in 'unknown artist/unknown album' (I also believe the file is not modified - metadata is in iTunes somewhere).
4) iTunes File>Convert Create Apple Lossless Version. This creates an .mp4a file with the same song title, but puts it in the "artist/album" directory that matches the metadata I added (also leaves the original .wav file in "unknown artist/unknown album").
5) In iTunes, open the album which shows two copies of the song. Delete the first one (you can check the version by right clicking and showing in windows explore to make sure that its the copy in 'unknown artist').

Now when I open my Windows Media Server client it sees my artist and my album and the original song is no longer in 'unknown artist/unknown album'.
And I can move the album songs to a playlist to burn a CD (provided they are 44.1/16bit). Not as functional as wavelab but probably good enough for today.

Thanks again for all the good info on wavelab.