View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Quote:
Quote:
Don't know whether it's good or bad news, but I just did 220 D-Verbs with cores 3&4 disabled:

Screenshot

Hmmm...so if we use the Maudio hardware, put the 270 on a single CPU board, then it will still smoke my quad. And be pretty close to an HD 6 rig as far as plug-in power goes. Now isnt that a swift kick in the privates.

I think we should start rethinking this one.

Shane
Hi All,

Actually that's EXACTLY the reason (M-Audio) that 3J's system is so dominant! M-Audio has been a PC (Windows) company for many years and more importantly, has been writing PC Drivers for many years. There is almost no single thing that is more important to a PC's performance and stability as the Drivers for the hardware. Just look at all the PC users who have tried to run MOTU hardware with their Nuendo/Sonar/Samplitude systems and all the headaches they've gone through just to get a working system.

As another example, there was a recent benchmark run on the Nuendo forum where varius users ran a test project very similar to the DaveC tests you guys have been running here. Some of the power users had access to two of the most recommended soundcards for Nuendo; RME and Lynx Studio. RME has been the number 1 recommended system with Lynx Studio being a close second. At least until this test.

Anyway in this test, users with both cards ran the same test on the same computer with the only difference being which card and driver was installed. Guess what? The Lynx card dominated the test! It performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than the RME card and that was the only difference in the test. The Lynx setup would run the test with more plugs, and at a lower buffer setting (128 vs. 256) than the RME.

In closing, I'm not trying to say that Digidesign writes bad PC drivers, just that M-Audio writes GREAT PC drivers and that does have a HUGE impact on performance. Hell an Audiophile 192 costs less than $200 and the Firewire 1814 is less than $500. M-Powered Pro Tools is basically indentical and you get an incredible interface, with Word Clock, SPDIF, ADAT, great converters, and most importantly, GREAT DRIVERS! You guys should definitely check it out.