View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: PAL to NTSC speed change?

Quote:

Charles, what do you mean the NTSC version syncs up "almost"? How does it NOT sync up? To answer your question, if the picture conversion was done so that the program time remains the same it should not matter if you mixed against the PAL or NTSC version. All video decks want 48Khz audio so all you need to do is change the timecode setting of the session, find your offset to the master, and you're all set. "Almost" scares me.
Hi mate,
I mentioned "almost" partly because I suspect certain lip sync are not spot on because it was a dub and lips can never match word for word when the actual spoken dialog was in a different language.

Most lines do matches fine, so I believe by just changing the rate in session setup from 29.97DF to 25fps, it should be safe for me.

Only issue now is, when I stripe the NTSC decks, would the audio match the video or do i need to do a .1% or 4+.1% etc.. The NTSC video was supposedly converted from PAL, and I double confirmed with the Taiwanese studios that last frame of visual on their converted video matches my PAL version (original).

Anyway, I'll know next week once the Mandarin mix is done and when we bring in the rented NTSC decks.

Let me add a new question (unrelated, maybe.. sorry). Is there such thing as a "multi-system" Digital Beta Deck that can play and record in both PAL and NTSC formats??

Thanks & Regards,
[Charles]