View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Which version of Pro Tools should I run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by becka183 View Post
Hello,
I just got a macbook pro because I want to run pro tools and I'm driving myself nuts trying to work out all the compatibility stuff and would love some opinions.
I have a mid-2015 MBP i7 16GB RAM running OS X 10.11.3 currently (I purchased this laptop as a refurbished 2nd hand product).
My gameplan is to just set up and run the same version of PT on the same OS (not upgrade).
Computer wants me to upgrade to 10.11.6? Any dramas with that?
I did have an old version of PT10 and Mbox to go with it, could that still be 'compatible' with what I've got now?
Can you pay for PT subscription and control (ie. not run) updates?
Feel free to recommend any compatible hardware?

Thanks for taking the time to give any feedback!
You really need to work out how to use the Pro Tools compatibility tables yourself to answer questions like will xxx version run on yyy operating system. Start at the compatibility links under additional resources up top of every DUC web page.

What version should you use... we have no idea. What are you doing? What plugin and session compatibility do you need? We have no idea.

Overall 2018.x is pretty good, seemingly more effort in quality/stability than in the past, worth upgrading your OS to if needed.

Pro Tools 10 is near museumware. 32 bit only, No AAX-64 plugin support, no recent OS support (and won’t be), no disk cache etc. Unless you need to be on it you are likely much better on a recent release.

Do you need compatibility with other folks you are working with, with Pro Tools versions? With what plugins? You need to research compatibility for any third party plugins.

You can find all the purchase options for Pro Tools online, you can upgrade from Pro Tools 10 to 2018 for around US$299 for a perpetual license then pay U$100/year for upgrades. There is nothing too “cloudy” about the software you choose when you want to upgrade it if at all. Look at Sweetwater.com Pro Tools pages, they likely won’t sell to you in Australia but they explain all the options better than Avid does.

If you really are new to Pro Tools even though you have a 10 license and unsure about what to do you can rent 2018 for ~$30 for a month to see if it all works then upgrade the license and keep using the same installed software.