View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: FCP \"bug\" to watch out for...

Okay, so this is becoming a MUCH more complicated bug that I first thought. It appears that FCP stamps the incoming audio as NTSC(.01% pulldown) or PAL(no pulldown), depending on what capture preset is being used as the default. SO...if for example in Peter Groom's case, the editor NORMALLY works with PAL and his DEFAULT capture setting is PAL, and then cuts an NTSC 29.97 sequence (even if he changed his capture setting on import), when the editor RE-IMPORTS the audio from PT, FCP stamps it as PAL... then when you add that to the 29.97fps sequence, it assumes it has to pull it down to match...and your audio comes out long. Conversely if the EDITOR starts NTSC as a default and then cuts a PAL sequence, the audio is marked on import as NTSC, FCP assumes it has to be pulled up to match and it comes out short. Just to make things interesting, it appears FCP actually WRITES this information to the audiofile, which means once it's been imported incorrectly once, it will ALWAYS bear that stamp, even if the FCP defaults are changed. Of course TRUE 24fps isn't a valid NTSC rate, so the same pullup will be applied in that sequence as well, which is the problem that got me started investigating all this...

So, to recap IF you are dealing with a framerate that is NOT normal for your country/continent, the BEST option is to either export a QT movie (via, PT, QTPro or the Sebsky Tools) that has the correct frame rate for import into FCP.

WHEW! A'int technology grand... kinda makes me miss the days of aligning DBX noise reduction units... no wait, it doesn't

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada