View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Using an external SSD drive with Pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeebean7 View Post
To be honest I don't know, it said portable hard drive, I just know it holds 8tb and when I used it with Logic which is where I'm coming from I didn't have any problems. Yes, the sound content of Native instruments is on the drive but the actual installation is on my mac, when I installed it asked me where to install and where to store the content libraries. I really need to learn more about all this stuff. If it will run smoother I will see if that SSD drive I mentioned in my first post comes in a larger capacity and get that assuming I can afford it. My drive came with a USB3 and a USB-C cable.

Question though, if all my sound libraries are on an actual ssd like the link in my first post, do I record to the drive my sound libraries are on since my computer is the hardware with the actual plugins and Pro tools installed? I apologise for so many questions, this is very new to me.

I just brought some more ram because I only have 8gb(I will now have 24gb because I read Pro tools needs at least 16gb), so I'll be subscribing to Pro tools as soon as it arrives, so I want to get this sorted out as soon as I can. I'm also hoping not to spend too much on the SSD because the ram was expensive.
Look on the drive case - it should have a model number on it. Maybe you still have the box it came in? Or the receipt from where you purchased it? Those should have the model number. From what I can find it is a spinner but not how fast but probably 5400 rpm; even the LaCie site doesn't list the drive speed.

You could record to the drive the libraries are on but you'd be better off recording to a separate drive; either an ssd or a 7200 rpm spinner.

As to ram - you really should have all ram modules the same size and spec.

QAPLA!