View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Is my MONSTER 12-core 3,33GHz Mac Pro underperforming on low buffer sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroon View Post
MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH:

I just recorded 64 tracks of 24-bit, 48 kHz audio to a 7200 spinner with a 64 buffer for 10 minutes.

This is on PTHD 12.8.1 on 10.10.5 Yosemite, and the OS lives on a partition of a 7200 spinner.

CPU: 6-7% | Disk: 7-8% | Memory: 5% recording to a 7200 spinner

CPU: 6-7% | Disk: 3-4% | Memory: 4% recording to a PCIe SSD

Meters are stable. GUI feels snappy.

The only way I'm able to force interrupt recording is by tracking 64 tracks of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio while zooming/scrolling like crazy.

This is a COMPLETELY different experience, and much closer to what I imagined that this computer could do.

So I'm tempted to stay with this configuration for the time being.

I'll try and install my 3rd party plug-ins and see if it's still stable.

Eventually I will migrate the OS onto an SSD.

So far I'm very happy.
Now that's good news and says your computer setup is solid.

From what you write your OSX install is on a spinner right? When you migrate to an ssd are you going to have that in a drive bay or on a pcie adapter card? I ask because I went down that same road. First had the ssd in a drive bay and bootup time to a fully usable desktop was so much faster than with the spinner (15 seconds from startup chime to a usable desktop versus 45 sec. for the spinner). I then did two changes at once - upped my ram from four 8GB ram modules to three 16GB modules for a total of 48GB and moved the ssd to a pcie adapter card. Startup time to a usable desktop actually increased from that same ssd in a drive bay by about 10 seconds but was still faster than the old 7200 rpm spinner. I'm thinking that the extra time is due to the extra 16GB of ram and OSX doing a ram test every time it starts. I can live with that as overall operation is so much faster that I won't go back to any other configuration.

Next up when I can afford it is to put my samples on an ssd on another pcie adapter card from the 7200 rpm internal spinner they're on at the moment.

QAPLA!