View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Upgrade path too expensive

Hi Musicman, yes I got HS the apple way via regular update. I need to keep my mac updated for other reasons and software.
This plays into a bigger question regarding OS updates, personally, I do not think it right that I have to pay avid $300 in order to keep my OS updated and Pro Tools working correctly. It's the same with other software, Izotope RX for example. I bought it, a year or so later I had to pay $150 to keep it updated and running. Fair enough if you're a professional or using the software daily but to me, RX is a tool, I may need it once or twice a year so it's just not viable for me to keep paying. I wish these companies would offer up a better deal, as a promise to keep my version running for 5 years. Hell, I wouldn't mind paying Avid a small fee to keep pro tools 11 running on the current OS. I don't want the features of PT12 or newer, I just want to use what I paid for for more than a year without problems.
I note an email yesterday from Fabfilter who have just released version 3 of their EQ. I purchased version 1 5 or 6 years ago. The email tells me I am entitled to version 3 for free! Now there's a company who gets it and I would say they're actually being too generous, I'd happily pay a little fee for the upgrade!

Avid's business model is based on the idea of taking for granted Pro Tools is the only real kid on the block, a bit like Apple taking their customers for granted but as we are seeing, people do jump ship and discover the grass is greener and cheaper. Studio One seems to be culling a lot of longtime pro tools users and as I mentioned, Harrison Mixbus is very impressive for the money. The younger generation will not bother with pro tools, it's way overpriced and for long term users like me I feel I am being ripped off at every opportunity. Surely avid, $99 update is better than me jumping ship?

Thanks for your recommendation about the drop and dragging audio. It does indeed work for getting around the import bug! A fantastic suggestion.
Come on Avid, wake up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Instead of using the menu item to import audio use drag and drop to an audio track from Finder - works for me with PT11.3.2 and Sierra OSX 10.12.6

The bigger question is why are you using High Sierra and how did you get it on your system? Did you do it the 'Apple Way' and just install it over whatever OSX was on the computer? I ask because I don't think you can even install PT11 on HS without mucking about in the installer.

The reason I'm running my system the way I am is because there were some plugins I wanted that needed higher than OSX 10.10.5. I researched the daylights out of it before going to Sierra; the only consistent one I found (for the way I work) was the import audio business and doing it via the menu item didn't work but drag & drop from Finder did.