View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Blue Screen Windows 7 - 003R Driver Crashing Possibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You might also consider shutting down and opening the case, and reseating every card and each stick of RAM, as well as all power connections
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Do you have processor scheduling set to "background services"?

But that's just something simple to try out. It might be in your best interest to try the semi-nuclear option: completely remove and reseat all PCIe cards and RAM, then do a disk check. Then defrag, then reinstall VMR.

If that still doesn't fix it, then you can try an elevated command prompt and enter sfc /scannow . Replacing HAL.dll might be necessary, but that's an easy task if you have your Windows install disk on hand - just use recovery console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
If you are sure at this point VMR is the culprit, I would remove it completely, Clean the junk and registry with something such as CCLeaner. restart the machine, Re download the plugin. Be sure to right click it when installing and select "Run as Administrator" and give that a go. I would also be sure my graphics card drivers are up to date.
Okay some more to add. After all of your suggestions everything was running quite smoothly so I left it alone and got some work done. But then late last night I had some more problems. Not a BSOD but a ProTools crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ProTools.exe
Application Version: 11.3.0.327
Application Timestamp: 54929f89
Fault Module Name: StackHash_7113
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16915
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec4b137
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000c6ae2
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7113
Additional Information 2: 71138bde9dfc5993b75fa989722596da
Additional Information 3: 44dd
Additional Information 4: 44dd29dd3c46af7e878bc687c2eb5446

This was right after I had a Native Instruments plugin (hosted within VEPRO) encounter a fatal error. Shortly after, Pro Tools crashed. When trying to reboot after the crash, it took longer than usual. I have a SSD for system and it is usually very quick to boot. Once into Windows I could only see the desktop and none of my icons or toolbar. Couldn't ctrl+alt+del into task manager...nothing. So I shut down the machine did the following:

1) Opened case and checked all RAM, PCI, and power connections.
2) Restarted machine and Windows booted normally
3) Ran dskchk - everything normal
4) ran CCleaner and fixed all found problems, including removing anything from Slate Digital
5) Redownloaded Slate VMR and installed. (realized now that I did not Run as Admin when reinstalling)
6) Fired up Pro Tools and had the same freezing as before. So I moved VMR to unused plugs and everything ran fine.

So...I figured the Pro Tools crash was possibly related to something physical being loose in the machine because after I checked my connections it was running fine, apart from the VMR error. But to be honest, I can live without VMR for now...

So fast forward to this morning. I left my machine running but not PT. Fired up PT, opened a session and got this horrible distortion when playing back. I was getting this distortion before BSOD's last week. I thought to myself "here goes...gonna crash". So I shut down PT and BSOD.

Seems to be the hal again. Here is the analysis from WhoCrashed:

On Sat 2/14/2015 6:08:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021415-13962-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x2BC60)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x1097, 0x40B0008, 0xFFFFFA801F77B390)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

I ran the sfc /scannow and it did not show any problems. And yes I am running processor scheduling set to "background services". All AVID recommendations as per here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en349411

Any other ideas? Should I try and fix the hal?

Macbook Pro Retina / 2.8GHZ / 512GB SSD / PT 2023.9