View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Boring, but necessary - backup solution

Two pronged approach works for me.

1) To guarantee up time due to catastrophic boot drive failure or bad software installation event.

Acronis weekly full backup of system drive partition and each time prior to new software install.

I also keep a full system drive partition image on a drive that's no where near the computer and un-powered - so if anything electrical happens - ie lightning strike hits the network this drive with a known good boot image is always available. Possibly a few months old but at least I can save days and weeks of software reinstall. BTW a lightning strike did take out one of my network drives and some USB peripherals a while back.

2) For file based back up to multiple external devices I use Synchbackpro once a day - 3am trigger. I back up all important audio files to three separate external devices. 1- NAS drive, 2 - WD Media player, 3 - NDAS drive.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/products.html

I don't prefer the pay as you go support model for Acronis but it's reliable software.

Syncbackpro really has a lot of features and It's never let me down either. I think the company offers a free version too if you want to give it a try.

Alain