View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
You've missed the point of my post...

What I'm saying is that there is no reason why Pro Tools HD Native software, could not work with the TDM cards (in place of the Native Card). I.e. it would use this card only to allow the interfaces to work with PT HD Native.

I am NOT saying that Native could "harness the power of TDM" as it seems you have interpreted me as saying. That would be pointless.

This would allow TDM users to purchase a software upgrade which would allow them to run PT HD Native or PT HD TDM (on a session by session basis, as they choose) without the need to purchase an expensive new card. After all the Native card is just a stripped down TDM card - effectively being a PCIe audio interface with a breakout box.

Sure 8.5 is coming, but by the look of it it's purely a compatibility upgrade (adding support for Native cards). I'm saying that it doesn't look like new hardware will be launched at AES.

Please don't turn this into a Native vs TDM thread - it's not intended as such. Please do not turn this into a thread outlining why A is better than B etc. that's been argued to death. Read my post as intended...
I wasn't arguing between HD vs HD|N.... so please read my posts...

8.1 was a compatibility upgrade.

8.5 will be more than that.

As crizdee mentioned... TDM cards do not have the same architecture as HD|N. They are designed completely differently, and will never have anything to do with one another.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515