View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: What FTP Server to use? X-Serve?

Quote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I was just wondering what type of FTP server anybody, particularly larger facilities, use. X-Serve or PC based? I'm trying to work out whether it's best to pay more and get X-Serve to stay all mac or if this matters at all.
X-Serve is hardware that ships with OS X Server installed. OS X Server can run on any Mac that OS X runs on. If you have a Mac that you can't use for other purposes, you could install a copy of OS X Server on it and use that as your server.

In my opinion, DigiDelivery is great for collaborating with other Pro Tools users. Some people, primarily those that do not use Pro Tools, will be unwilling, if not unable, to install the client software. For us, that meant it wasn't an option. The other services mentioned may be suitable, but do they offer the granularity, security, and perhaps most importantly, the image you want?
Hello all!
Here at Blackbird we have an extensive network setup that includes 2 X-Serves and and a Digidelivery GT. For common file transfer (of any size) between clients (mix approvals, mix to mastering etc..) the Digidelivery is the best solution we have found. FTP servers are inherently insecure and can for the average user be quite complicated to implement correctly, even on Mac OS X Server. (Passive FTP and a Firewall anyone?) Other than OS X Server, Rumpus is a great solution as is Crush FTP.
It's not uncommon for us to have 4-6 gig of data transfered a day through our DD, so we feel it has paid for itself time and time again. And BTW, zero downtime in the last 2 years.
If Protools worked as well as the Digidelivery, there would be no need for this forum.
v
www.blackbirdstudio.com
www.sputniksound.com
www.vancepowell.com