View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Default Re: solution ! disabling hyperthreading on new mac pro running windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by music project View Post
when running PT LE on "nehalem" or i7 processors there is no option to select using less then the maximum number of cores in the setup menu.

this causes errors and stability issues and leave not enough breathing room for the windows os for backround stuff.

on PC you can disable hyperthreading in the "bios" and then "unlock" the cpu options in PT.

since there is no "bios" on macs, the only way to disable hyper threading running windows on a new mac pro "nehalem" using bootcamp is as follows :

right click "my computer" > properties > advanced > startup and recovery > settings > edit

you have to edit you boot.ini file:

first, copy the last line and paste it under so you'll have two identical lines.
this loads up a dialog on start up where you can chosse what line to use so in case the new one fails you can recover.

now, on the new line you created add:

"/numproc=8"

save

mine is an 8 core machine so my only option was to work with 16 cores.

after making the change to the boot.ini file i can select between 1 thru 8 cores to be assigned to PT.

if you have a 4 core machine just add: "/numproc=4" as the number of your phisical cores.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170756/ (scrolll down).

Where do you get 16 cores from 8? It's a Dual Quad Core which means there are a total of 8 cores and not 16. 2x4=8
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub