View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Is my MONSTER 12-core 3,33GHz Mac Pro underperforming on low buffer sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroon View Post
MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH:

I just recorded 64 tracks of 24-bit, 48 kHz audio to a 7200 spinner with a 64 buffer for 10 minutes.

This is on PTHD 12.8.1 on 10.10.5 Yosemite, and the OS lives on a partition of a 7200 spinner.

CPU: 6-7% | Disk: 7-8% | Memory: 5% recording to a 7200 spinner

CPU: 6-7% | Disk: 3-4% | Memory: 4% recording to a PCIe SSD

Meters are stable. GUI feels snappy.

The only way I'm able to force interrupt recording is by tracking 64 tracks of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio while zooming/scrolling like crazy.

This is a COMPLETELY different experience, and much closer to what I imagined that this computer could do.

So I'm tempted to stay with this configuration for the time being.

I'll try and install my 3rd party plug-ins and see if it's still stable.

Eventually I will migrate the OS onto an SSD.

So far I'm very happy.
Ok, finally, so it WAS the OS being on the PCI ssd.

Please ignore my above post once again, i made it before i read this.

Glad it is working.

Look, i don't buy that the problem is sierra which is why i am sticking to the pcie ssd theory.. Yosemite was a great OS that Avid sadly stopped supporting, but it shouldn't be the difference between being able to record at low latency or not.. If you ever decide to install sierra on the sata bay disk, and it works, at least we'll know for sure. But now, well done on an interim solution and i am really glad you are happy :)