View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Another "Pro Tools crashing" issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.Brownlee View Post
Thanks for the tips.
1-I didn't really know the difference between "Freeze" and "Commit," and enabling Elastic Audio would certainly make things easier. I'm finding it's bad when I begin a new project, because when I load up my orchestra template, everything begins as Frozen and I can't make any tempo changes that way when setting up the score. I'll give Commit a try instead.

2-The buffer idea still baffles me somewhat, but definitely worth a look.

3-I do find it surprising that my computer can't handle this many instruments at once, but I guess it's just a matter of deactivating them properly so it isn't overloaded.
1-Time to make a new template

2-the buffer is an allowance of time(in samples) for the computer to process the audio. Big buffer means the computer gets more time to complete processing(more time=more latency). Small buffer means the computer needs to process everything in less time(lower latency) with more load on the system.

3-Very dependent on the plugins being used. Some require very little power from the computer, while others require lots of horsepower. It might help you to become familiar with which use more. That way, you can plan ahead(work those early and commit early), maybe choose different plugins(remember my comparison of MiniGrand to KeyScape's piano) or look into whether those "power hog" plugins offer a "lite" setting(example, leaving out ambiance samples or pedal noise. Or not loading stuff you won't really need, like 5 crash cymbals when you only need 1 or 2).

If you're wondering how to figure out which plugins are power hogs, start with a blank session and call up 10 stereo Instrument tracks. Note the cpu meter reading. Then holding the Alt key(PC) select one of your usual VI plugins on one track(holding Alt will load the same VI on all tracks). Once things settle and the plugin opens and completes the load, note the cpu meter again. Did it jump from 3% to 10%, or from 3% to 60% or higher? Repeat with each of your "usual suspects" and see what happens

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave