View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Problem using 3 card system in a mixture of PCI-x and PCI slots

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkgale View Post

Lifer,

I should have specified that my i7 (the 965 extreme) is from the 1 year ago generation which I understand can’t be used in the 3 boards you mention (all being LGA1156 Socket / P55 chipset boards). Please let me know if I am wrong.

Sunburst79,

Right….no wonder the cards are said to work stuffed into PCI slots even with those extra card teeth hanging in the air.

So, you’re saying there’s hope if I tell my BIOS to dumb down the 2 PCI-x slots to 33 mghz (i.e., the match the mghz of the 3rd-Accel card stuffed into the PCI slot)?

I’ll report over the weekend.
Yeah I'm guessing. You can more on Wikipedia about PCIx and PCI. 64 bit PCI is a real odd duck. It was a server technology that was almost immediately replaced by PCI-X. The main differance was the PCI-X spec started at 133MHz and then bumped to 266 and later made backwards compatible to 100, 66 and 33 MHz. It's confusing as hell.

Regarding the cards finger count...Suppossedly there is a minor reduction in DSP/Voicing if you run a card in a 32bit slot. But the guys running the ASUS P5DG2 WS never noticed a difference. I suspect like the differece between PCI and PCIe any difference goes away as you add more cards. Digi has a whitepaper on PCI vs PCIe power out there somewhere.

I would like to point out I don't own a PCI HD system. So take this as some uncomformed information. I'm not trying to come across as an expert just point out that 133Mhz is probably going to be to fast. I'll talk to Bob Nagy later today and see if he remembers what he had to set his PCI-X slots to.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88