View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 01:54 PM

Default yet another cpu overload thread

Ok so I have had this issue a little while, recently updated from pro tools 12 to pro tools 2019 and from high sierra osx on my mac to mojave hoping that might help, but nope!

My issue seems slightly different from most I've read about.

With a moderate session running with just a few plugins, (and most tracks committed) everything will be fine for a while, the cpu use is showing to be around 20%. Then at some point during playback I'll get a 9173 error, and from that point onwards I can't even play the session without an error popping up. Buffer size is set to the max. Individual CPU readings from now clock at zero however the main total cpu reading constantly spikes all the way up to 100. If I open up apple's activity monitor the cpu use shown there is steady around 20%. It's hard to say what prompts the initial error as it can happen at any point while using pro tools, but opening any other program while pro tools is running will almost definitely get it. I have 16gb ram and plenty of it is free. I have messed around with disk cache settings too to no avail.

After this happens my only option is to quit pro tools and start again, at which point it'll go back to normal until it happens again. I can deactivate every plugin, or even delete every single track and the spiking still goes on.

I've read as many threads about this error as I could find, and tried as many solutions as possible! Having the session on an external drive, on my main ssd, using different audio interfaces including the built in output, updating the ilok firmware, sorting all the recommended optimisation settings, nothing helps.