Thread: ADC weirdness
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Re: ADC weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Okay, I have 1 audio track with no plugins(10 minutes of pink noise). 2 Aux tracks with room mics for talkback. The AUX tracks have 2 instances of Channel Strip for limiting(of mic volume) and ducking from the Pink noise track. If I set the pink track to any output(or none) Delay Comp does nothing(as expected). I can add a send to the bus for side-chaining to the duckers. BUT, if I try to set the pink track's OUTPUT to the bus, ADC adds compensation of 1177 samples, for no apparent reason. Anybody got an idea why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Where does that bus go? Using "dummy" outputs with delay compensation is a bad idea. The delay compensation engine is not smart enough to realize that a "dummy" output does not need compensation. The delay compensation will try (erroneously) to compensate for the delay on a "dummy" output, not get it right, and screw it up.

dummy = output to nowhere
Chief Technician is right. Even if your bus is going to a sidechain key input of a compressor, your bus, albee1952, is going to nowhere else (and the ADC algorithm is a bit lost). If you want to output your audio track to a sidechain key input, 2 options :

1/ you must create a "dummy" muted Aux track (sidechain bus = input, "mix" output = output) then ADC algo could calculate the proper delay (here = 0).
2/ or use Sends like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco
I have been tearing my hear out with ADC in PT10 TDM. Could you please elaborate on these specific situations? It would be REALLY valuable to know that I don't have to continually trouble shoot in a desparate attempt to understand when/why ADC is not working properly.
AFAIK, busses simply have to be terminated*. Especially, if there is complex/unusual routing using busses leading to another bus or to "nowhere" or to plugins.

* = make sure all your busses are routed to an aux track (even if you don't need one, then use an dummy aux track like described above). Note that busses routed to audio track are not terminated except if input monitoring is ON (HD only) or if RECord is armed.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1

Last edited by demodigi; 09-06-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: EDIT for clarification