Thread: Memory
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Memory

Quote:
I really don't see what every one is getting so upset about.
I don't see anyone getting upset. What we are trying to tell you though is that it's not just protools or MP (MP is not doing anything special as you seem to be inferring) but all of the current versions of audio software (except, somehow, Sonar and I honestly would recommend 512MB from practical experience with it). And it's not only audio software. As programs progress, add new features, and increase the quality of their output, the memory requirements will naturally increase. Most system manufacturers know these trends, and unless you're going super cheap, any new PC you buy today will come with a minimum of 512MB.

Cubase SX1 required 256MB, but recommended 512MB. The current version, SX3 requires 384MB, just like PT. Pro Tools LE 5.1.1 only required 192MB. The latest version requires 384MB and recommends 512MB.
Windows 98 only required 16MB to run. XP requires 128MB? (now that seems like a lot)
See my point?

For audio performance, though, it's not the memory that matters most times, but the processor.

Basically, though, it boils down to whatever works for you and how you work. If you're happy with your system/software as it is now, and it works for you, why change? If it does everything you need it to, there's no reason. If, for some reason, you need to use PTMP, or the newest cubase, or something like samplitude, you'll need at least the required memory to make them run.

For me, 512MB isn't even enough in PT or Sonar. But I use a lot of virtual synths and samplers in what I do, which add to the memory load.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12