View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I'm confused. Why are you stuck? If at any point you buy a permanent license, you don't need to continue to pay Avid anything and you will always have backward compatibility for old projects. I stopped upgrading a couple of years back at v12.8, and can open old projects just fine. And yes, I switched to a different DAW, but I still have PT here when I need it, just not the latest version.
But what if you want to sell all your avid hardware? What if an OS update no longer allows you to open your files? I'm all ears if there is a solution to this. Seriously I don't know the solution. If I recorded songs on PT version....let's say 5 would I still be able to open it on a Mac with Mojave? I can archive my tracks by printing them but would the file open and if it doesn't open how do I get the tracks? I'm not experienced in this area. I imagine pros have to deal with this all the time. I know when the Beatles tracks were remastered and remixed, they did it with the original master tapes on with equipment that could run the tapes and on a console that could process the tape information. They didn't just convert to digital and remaster/remix on PT 2019. Maybe this is a bad comparison, but it highlights the idea of taking old technology and bringing it to light decades later.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman