View Single Post
Old 07-20-2002, 05:47 PM

Default Blue Screen of Death

So this weekend I decided to purchase the XP 5.3.1 upgrade, move the 001 over from my Mac, and see how the other half lives. I haven't had much luck getting this thing installed, and while the Digi guys seem to take the weekend off, the boards stay up 24/7. So here goes.

I attempted to follow instructions. I have a Dell 1.8 P4 desktop with XP with one free PCI slot (modem, ethernet, and soundblaster are hogging the others). All Dell-factory issued, except the extra 120 gig 7200 rpm IBM hard drive. I Dl'd the 5.3.1 installer. Popped open my BIOS and attempted to enable USB (it already was) and disable PCI parity (not an option, so I couldn't do it). Then I snapped the card into the screwless slot and thought I'd be almost there.

I installed Pro Tools on my system drive and restarted. When launching PT for the first time, it hung after loading DAE on a blue screen. Told me something was wrong with Win32k.sys. Address Bf86f995. Told me to reboot. Which I did. This time, I got the same error. And when I booted up Windows told me I had a "serious error."

Since then, I've reinstalled the software a few times, with no luck. Anyone else have these problems?

This not being a Hallada machine, I was not expecting this to be a breeze. Nor was I expecting peak performance here. This is my office machine -- it's loaded with software I use for work (nothing out-of-the-ordinary, Photoshop and Word and the like). I had hoped to "audition" PT LE on this machine, and if I liked it, build my own $700 Hallada box. But I can't even get that far. And I don't see much in the way of troubleshooting info on the Digi site (plenty for the XP TDM system, though).

Anyone have a similar problem? Your assistance is greatly appeciated. What should I do? Turn off the other sound card? Re-install again? Pull all the software off my computer? Start hyperventilating?

Thanks,

Tim