Thread: Vocal Recording
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Vocal Recording

No, but there are several ways to get what you want. Here's a few"

#1-my preferred method): Create a separate headphone mix by adding a AUX send to every track ad routing that to a separate set of outputs to feed your headphone amp(details on your interface, computer and experience would likely get more details on possible solutions). Simple turn the sends on the FX tracks down or off so little or no FX goes to the headphones(this assumes your main outputs are also feeding headphones now).

#2-If your reverb/delay plugins are on the vocal track, do what most of us do and put those effects on AUX tracks and use a send to feed the vocal(or whatever) to the AUX(IOW, reverb/delay effects are best used on AUX tracks).

#3-If you only have one set of outputs(so you can't create a separate headphone mix), You could assign all your AUX tracks with effects and then make a group of them. Add a VCA master to that group so you can bring all effects down with a single fader or mute.

More details on a separate headphone feed: You can choose to make all the HP sends Pre-fade(so you can have full control over the HP mix). If you do this, work with session templates and create one(or several) with a decent HP mix already dialed in(I had 6 stereo headphone mixes out of my tracking template that were so well-tweaked(before the player/band plays a single note) that I rarely spent more than 1 minute to tweak(even for 6 players).

Option 2 would be to make all the HP sends Post-fader and set to -0. Doing this will make the headphone mix sound the same as the main mix(but you can turn effect tracks down on the mix). Many singers actually want to hear a little reverb in the phones

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave