View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: please help! emergency!!! (crrashed ProTools won\'t restart)

It looks like it's trying to do something (while the CPU is up at 100) - I have a little "i/o monitor" program, and it's showing me that "something" is accessing almost every file on the disk, VERY SLOWLY. And, something is writing to a system log file "ntuser.dat", it's up in the 10 mB range so far. Something must be horribly wrong. It's never done this before.

Add'l info: I can shut down ProTools, while this is going on, and I can start it up again, but when it starts up the second time, I get this error: "DAE error -4 was encountered". When I hit OK, it says "An error has occurred, please save your session and restart your computer (-9003)". Then ProTools closes itself automagically. If I try to start it up again a third time, it doesn't give me that error again, but it's VERY SLOW when it loads the plug-ins, and then it ends up displaying that same behavior again (ie it works okay till I try to open up an old session).

Other info: I did succeed in opening up one "empty" session, which has nothing in it but 24 aux tracks. The very first time I tried to open it, it took forever, but on subsequent tries it did okay. So, I'm sitting there cycling through files of increasing size and complexity, seeing if maybe there's a threshold or something, and lo and behold, I get to a session with just a few tracks and a few plug-ins, and I get this message box: "The following plug-ins were made inactive because of insufficient system resources: Dither(1)... (and some others)". So I say YES, I'd like to save a detailed report, but there's nothing in it - it says "some inputs or outputs were inactive". Harumph. So much for a "detailed report", ha ha. And by the time this message box pops up, my system is all screwed up again, the mouse is jumping around, and etc etc. But it actually DOES (eventually) open the session. However the whole thing hangs eventually, as soon as you try to do anything (even bring up the file menu or something simple like that).

That's it for now, will keep you posted with further info.