View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Mac 8core 2.8 gHz Harpertown 16-32 gig RAM vs. New 2.66 gHz Nehalem with 8-16 gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenkori View Post
with respect, no insult intended....about PT not seeing all that extra RAM until it is 64 bit...HUH?

Hey, if you can clarify your last remark, please do... how much RAM will PT 8 (LE) currently utilize?
If you google or even just search the DUC about how much RAM can ProTools See and use, you'll see that the maximum for a 32bit system (which is, leopard & Win XP) is 4GB (actually a bit less, more like 3.7GB). In order for ProTools to recognise more RAM, it has to be 64bit compatible.
Good news! Snow Leopard coming out this friday is written in 64bit, meaning that future applications written in 64bit will fully use the MacPro's abilities and RAM. We'll just have to wait until Digidesign rewrites a new version of ProTools in 64bits (which WILL take a while, my guess is, minimum one year). One last comment on that, ProTools 32bits (the one we're all using right now) will be compatible with Snow Leopard as this OS also supports 32bit aplications :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenkori View Post
Anyway, My friends at Colorado Sound Studios are certainly using 32 gig on their new 8-core mac- but of course they are running HD, not LE....
Don't get me wrong, I got an 8-core MacPro with 32GB of RAM (installed this morning BTW, they make a lot more noise than when I only had 4GB but hey...), and in any case, more RAM is always better, I'm just saying that PT cannot recognise and use more than 4GB right now. It's not to say though that the loading of your application and plugins will be faster, some third party plugins WILL work better as they might have been written to recognise more RAM, and finally, you can easily now run PT, Reason, internet, photoshop, and more at the same time with more RAM :)

One more thing, The HD setup of your friend will obviously beneficiate the extra RAM, but yet again, only 4GB can be recognised by PT. And while I'm on the subject of HD, why would you bother spending so much money on such a system when running LE on an 8-core machine will be more power than you'll ever need?

Hope this all helps! Cheers.

Stephan

www.myspace.com/ninospace