View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM

Default New to Avid products and in need of clarification ...

I bought a 3rd gen. MBox Mini a few months ago. I was using it and PT Express on OSX 10.7.5 on a Core 2 Duo Mac Pro with no problems.

Bear in mind I bought this kit to get myself acclimated with PT, and if all went well - full intension to "cross grade" to PT 11. What I found interesting was that for the type of work that I do - PT Express was more than adequate. But like I said, I still want (at some point) to move to PT 11.

Now I've moved to a (5,1) 2010 Quad Mac Pro with a clean Mavericks install. From what I gather, the use of the MBox Mini in OSX 10.9 is supported using this driver. OTOH 10.9.1 is NOT supported. I'm running 10.9.1 And of course Pro Tools Express is a forgotten issue on ANY build of Mavericks.

I don't mean to come across as being snarky, so please don't take what I'm about to say as such ...

I've never seen such a convoluted road map and nebulous legacy support for ANY hardware/software set of tools.

First of all, M Audio makes a big announcement at NAMM regarding a new I/O that is bundled with PT Express. Who would buy this device for access to PT if it does not work on the latest version of OSX?

Alright, so maybe it works on 10.8 ... but what's the plan, Avid? Is PT Express ever going to be updated to work on Mavericks?

And what about the Mbox's? The driver that is available (from what I can see) does not support Mavericks 10.9.1?? Why not? My guess is 10.9.2 is imminent. Are you saying that these devices will only work on machines that have not been updated to the latest OS release?

I realize that shelling out $400 for the PT 11 cross grade will potenitially solve my inability to run PT, but only if the software will be updated to run on the latest version of the OS. If not, I'm still out of luck.

Apple started pushing developer builds of Mavericks over a year ago. I'm not sure I understand why this environment is so fuzzy. Again - I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm just wondering if this is sort of the way it is and I should forget PT/MBox support for a while until this is all sorted out ...

-paul.