View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Re: im trying to get more tracks in protools

If you say so. My thought was that if every 2 or 4-bar loop is put onto it's own track, then that's simply not very efficient - or if you're using stereo hihat or snare drum loops, that's kind of inefficient as there isn't any real stereo information there.

It didn't sound like the OP had extensive production experience with DAWs, so it's worth asking whether that many tracks are even necessary. It's kind of like someone putting a reverb on every track - it's simply not efficient and has nothing to do with anachronistic workflows or limitations. It has to do with learning the tool and how to best take advantage of it's features. For instance, with Logic, you may be more concerned about how much editing or automation you have to do and less concerned about how many tracks you're using.

Don't forget that PTLE allows 128 voiceable audio tracks, it's just that only 48 (PT8) can play at the same time. That's in addition to 128 aux tracks, 32 instrument tracks, and 256 midi tracks.

Would I prefer if PT had unlimited audio tracks? Of course, but I haven't even found 32 tracks all that limiting and 48 tracks gives me some breathing room.

If the production style absolutely requires extremely high audio track counts, then Protools is probably not the best choice. One of the programs that offers unlimited tracks might be better suited.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.