View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 12:43 AM

Default Re: automatic loudness correction that can handle split stems too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexeymohr View Post
I'm looking for a plugin-based workflow for doing broadcast loudness correction to both my full mix stem and split stems.

I understand that the correct answer for broadcast loudness compliance is to get the mix right in the first place. But the fact is that sometimes schedules don't allow for leisurely mix tweaking to get 100% perfect LKFS compliance.

So I'd like to use a plugin like iZotope RX Loudness Control or Nugen LM-Correct to do that final adjustment for me. But here's my main concern:

I have to deliver a full mix stem and a huge array of split stems for any given program (dialog-only, VO-only, MX-only, SFX-only, etc). My splits stems, when played together, must equal my full mix stem. If I only do LKFS-targeting level adjustments to the full mix stem with one of these plugins, the splits will no longer match it.

So, does anyone know of a loudness correction plugin that allows for the same exact loudness adjustments to be made to the splits as the full mix stem? Can either RX Loudness Control or LM-Correct do this somehow? Or is there another alternative that can?
In my view stems cannot and shouldn't be delivered to loudness specs. The underlying principle of stems is that if you put them together in a session with the faders all at 0dB then you will get the full mix.

If you make the stems and components loudness compliant then gain changes will have been made and so when you put them back together the resulting full mix will not be as you intended and will not be loudness compliant.

My advice would be to produce a loudness compliant full mix and then output the stems that mix produced and do not worry that the stems are not loudness compliant. Only the full mix is to be loudness compliant, components like stems cannot and should not be delivered as loudness compliant as they are parts of the mix, not the whole mix.