View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools vs Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
But I am wondering also if age and chronological order of having learned recording may also have something to with preference
Because for those of us who started with tape and analog mixing consoles, I am guessing there is no DAW GUI that is as overall intuitive as PT
Interesting point. I originally started recording my music with a 4 track tascam. I often forget that I did spend a lot of time with that thing long before learning pro tools.
But, I don’t think age and chronology of learning is entirely what determines why certain people might prefer a program like reaper. There are certain people who thrive on constantly learning new things and coming up with new ways to do things. When I was younger, I was much more excited about innovating and being on the bleeding edge, and definitely fit into that category. But now my time is so limited I just want to focus on being productive with what I know, and turning my time into money in the most efficient way possible.

I think modern software has 2 main directions it is going:
1. Making something quick and easy (compare logic’s “drummer” tracks to programming and mixing drum samples)
2. Finding a way to pass the time when someone has downtime(social media, most iOS apps/games)
Reaper doesn’t fit in either of these categories, IMHO it’s for a very limited market of users.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?