View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Roland Guitar-synth and delay ???

Xbitz,

I've never tried the Gr-20 but i've had the Gr-30 with the GK-2A pick-up for years. It works fairly well but not great. Maybe that's why Roland discontinued it.

I recently bought a GI-20 which works really well. The tracking is so much better than the Gr-30. I didn't need built in sounds because I mostly use it with Sampletank and other softsynths. All the GI-20 does is convert the signal to midi and it does it very accurately.

Here are a couple of tips that i've figured out over the years for better tracking and midi conversion with guitar synths:

1. Use a lighter gauge string for more accurate tracking. Guitar synth converters take longer to analyze and convert lower frequencies so the lighter the gauge, the quicker the conversion. I switched from 10's to 9's on my midi guitar and the tracking is much better now. If you're not comfortable playing with a lighter gauge then just stick with what you like. It's a compromise that you'll have to decide for yourself.

2. Play everything an octave higher on the guitar and then transpose the midi notes down an octave on your midi guitar synth or in your sequencer. This works especially well with bass lines. You can even use a capo on your guitar and then transpose the notes down. Again, this helps with the accuracy of the conversion but if you're not comfortable playing this way then it wouldn't be worth it.

Just remember, low end is bad for midi conversion.
Try these tips for sounds with fast attacks like piano, guitar, etc. and you'll see what I mean. You'll end up with very clean midi tracks in your sequencer.

Good luck,
Marc