View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Default Re: New to HDX....quite disappointed.

Thank you again for your reply.

So what I need to do is record 28 channels, I'm just saying that it falls apart after 24. And the intention would definitely be to eventually use plugins (at least at mixdown) but again, the system is not allowing that as I am already out of dsp having only routed 24 channels to individual outputs (nothing else, what-so-ever taxing the dsp- no plugins, busing etc)

Also, so you know, hardware buffers of less than 256 samples are not even available for selection with HDX at 192 (keeping in mind that 256 samples at 192k is less latency in ms than 256 samples at lesser rates, it's all relative).

256 is how I had it set. I hadn't considered buffer size as a variable that affects dsp usage, but that is something I can try in light of your suggestion. Buffer size isn't much of a concern to me (within reason- I still need a click and to be able to punch in) as I would be monitoring without latency from the console.

I have an avid approved setup (maxed out HP Z420- 8 core 3.1 ghz, 64 GB RAM, separate system, audio and sample SSDs with all avid recommended os\bios optimizations). How would computer specs affect dsp usage? I thought that was the whole point of the DAW running on DSP.

Everything is coming into HDX via an HD I/o 16x16 digital (16 CH aes), and an SSL delta-link (32 CH vis 2X madi heads). All AD\DA is built into the console.

Of interesting note: I setup another template session a bit differently. Through the use of some busing I am actually able to do more (having now used 61 voices). If I bus the toms, cymbals and octabons to 3x stereo outputs, instead of 20x mono it makes all the difference (it seems HDX really doesn't like outputting). This is fine for tracking, but at mixdown I would prefer my busing (and more importantly, my panning) to be in the analog domain.

I guess it is what it is. Just a bit surprised how grimy avid is with their marketing. When you research HDX prior to purchasing, you read that:

"...there's a separate FPGA processor for your mix bus, so all of your HDX card's DSP power is dedicated to running plug-ins."

Is this simply a lie?