View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Re: 11R SPDIF intermittent problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark5093 View Post
Sorry for lack of detail.

What I mean by "not work" is its not passing any signal at all via spdif when this occurs. I have input set to guitar in, and when I use it standalone I get guitar amp sound out of speakers and headphones. The analog outputs work correctly so far. I have not tried the rear "to amp" and I have not tried the AES either. (Why they neglected to include ADAT is beyond me).
I am sure ADAT (especially ADAT In) was not included to keep the Eleven Rack feature reduced/price down vs. other products.

In User Options make sure that "Digital Output" is set to "Rig Outputs"--at least for starters.

OK so you are just trying to use S/PDIF out the Eleven Rack to the S/PDIF in on your 18i120.

What does the "Digital Out" meter show in the Rig view on the Eleven Rack front display? Meter moving as you play guitar? Plug in headphones to the eleven Rack.. does what you hear on those track with the Digital Out meter movements?

If the meter is moving OK moving then I suspect the problem is your cable or your 18i20 or Pro Tools. So good to exclude Pro Tools by looking at S/PDIF input from Mix Control as you are trying.

If that does not help then swap the cables you have now, try wiggling them etc. try to buy new proper cables, try to find/borrow other S/PDIF devices to test with (S/PDIF headphone amps, CD/DVD/MP3 players etc.).

You must manually set the clock rate on the Eleven Rack and on your interface/DAW to match. Check this first. Then you should be clovkign the Elevn Rack internally and the 18i20 from the S/PIDIF in.

Make sure Rig Input is set to guitar In. Don't assume, go check it. that is a leading cause of "Eleven Rack stopped working" problems.

The Eleven Rack will output on both S/PDIF and AES/EBU regardless of the Digital settings (that just affects which Digital Input is used).

Quote:
When I monitor the spdif input in pt or Saffire Mix Control software, I get peaking clicking noises, seemingly random, but consistently; there is no silence.
Well that is why I asked... it is a sign of a possible clocking problem. Maybe sample rate mismatch problem.

Quote:
I do not have any other spdif gear to test cables on, I suppose I can order a couple from Amazon and test with those. My particular cable *does* work, but not always, and that is what made me concerned. And my gear has not moved since it last worked.

I will double check the clock settings, I only have the 11R sending to the SP40 and not recieving spdif so it should be internal. Does the sample rate need to match at that point? Again, I'm new to SPDIF gear.
Quote:
I got this 11R new from Sweetwater about 35 days ago and only a week ago did I try using the spdif at all. Not sure the revision, should be new, but was bundled with perpetual licenses (10/11/12 and iLok) if that gives a hint to the age of the unit. I will check the S/N when I am back in my studio.
That is fine, I was checking for a known problem in old versions of the Eleven Rack, yours will not be affected.