View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 01:25 PM

Default Re: help purchasing controller monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I am also a fan of the Central Station, but have some extra info that you should be aware of:
#1-the older version used a PSU that connected with a 5-pin XLR. Those are not available if they fail, so avoid the early version(later/current uses what looks like a laptop brick and connector and can be replaced).
#2-most of the audio path(except the digital ins) is passive, so coloration is essentially zero.
#3-at very low volume(lower than I would ever listen), the image shifts off to the right side(happens on every CS I have ever used and I have owned 5 of them). Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of
#4-make sure you get all the TRS connections pushed all the way in(if you don't, you will likely have a phase issue)
#5-the digital ins are really handy(optical out from computer connects easily and sounds great, leaving your interface for PT, only)

So, its not perfect, but beats everything in its price range(and its a great deal if you find the later version at a low price)
#3 results from a ganged pot that isn't matched for both sections. That's happened ever since the old Fisher, Marantz and such stereos from back in the 50's and then some. Don't ask how I know

QAPLA!