Thread: Motu 16a
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Amack, for screenshots check out a free utility called 7Capture. http://www.7capture.com/

I don't know what influence you think I have, but you can make your own suggestions on Ideascale. System Delay is exactly how it is described in the manual. For non-HD interfaces, this is a measure of internal delay only.

Shiftstudios, I'm interested in what you think of the general functionality of the MOTU AVB stuff. Decent preamps, headphone amps, routing?
Hi mesaone!

My impressions so far are limited as I have only had the device just shy of a week (even though I've been on it every day for hours since). So all I can give are my impressions so far. :)

Preamps on this device are better than any of the other interface gear I have (I use a lot of Focusrite gear). The noise floor is amazingly low, inaudible even. Dynamic range is much improved, and the clarity and separation is great! Many have said the stats are pretty close to the Apogee Symphony I/O, I am trying to find specific links to send you in relation to that as I have not used the Symphony so I cannot be the judge of that. All I know is to my ears, it sounds more open, more clear, and the frequency range is much improved over my other interfaces (even the MOTU 828x). In this new AVB line they are using Sabre32 digital converters (same as the apogee gear), rather than whatever cheap stuff they were using in their previous lines.

Also, I did not notice any perceivable difference between audio streams through AVB vs Thunderbolt.

For headphone amps I got the 16A which does not have headphone outs on it, but I have an ART HeadAmp 6 so I generally do some TRS out's to the headphone amp and then from there I can out to wherever I need to as well so it works good. Based upon this I cannot comment on their headphone amps (I have looked at the Monitor8 a few times).

In terms of routing I will say this. The ability to route any input to any output(s) with zero latency is phenomenal on this device, not to mention it also has onboard DSP for all inputs and outputs (LA-2A style comp, british style EQ, and HPF, Reverb, etc.). Which I was first skeptical that having a web based interface for this would be gimmicky, I am happy to report that I was proven wrong. Being able to use my iPad for routing and mixing on the interface while keeping Pro Tools up on my monitors have proven invaluable for setting up headphone mixes, live tracking, etc). I have only scratched the surface of what I can do with this thing, but so far I am extremely impressed.

I will say for a device at this price point, I feel it definitely punches above it's weight.

When I find some links of technical real-world comparisons, I will post them here. :)