View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Confused about Converters and Pres

Quote:
Thanks guys for being so patient with me. I'm still researching and I have one more question about things. k i see the rosetta 200 comes with a/d and d/a and the a2d comes with a/d and the preamps but no d/a. i plan on clocking either to the digi 002.
Nope, Rosetta or A2D will be the clock source. The 002 will clock to it...

Quote:
so if i get the rosetta 200 i would be using the digi pre amps with d/a for monitoring which i just bought some new mackies 2 months ago. but the a2d has some really nice pres but no d/a. so now i see the draw backs here... so if i get the rosetta 200 would i get by with good conversion a/d and sound without better pres till i could afford them? and would getting the a2d be worthless when monitoring back since there is no d/a until i buy a seperate d/a.
No, you can't use the 002 preamps through the Rosetta.. If you get the Rosetta, you will need external Preamps...

The A2d is only for the front end... The input side of things. It will not affect the outputs (except that the Digi D/A converters will be clocking to the A2D. Likely a negligible difference)

The Rosetta would allow you to monitor via it's better D/A..

Quote:
i can only afford one for now and plan on buying whatever else i need a year from now. so my question is for now what would be the best buy for overall better conversion, sound clarity and monitoring give or take a few set backs with lack of better pres or no d/a.

please be nice guys :)
Here are the 2 scenarios:
With A2d:

Mics -> A2D -> SPDIF -> 002 -> analog main outputs-> monitors
With Rosetta:

Mics -> standalone Micpres -> Rosetta -> Spdif > 002 -> Spdif -> Rosetta -> analog outputs -> monitors
IMO to make the investment in the Rosetta worthwhile, you will need to spend some serious money on a stereo mic pre..($1k+) Mic pres will make a bigger difference in your sound than converters, and the A2D has world class mic-pres..