View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Default Really portable interface?

Hi,

I've been asked by a client to find him a very small, portable interface to use with Protools (11.3) on a Macbook Air (Thunderbolt and USB)

He only needs a maximum of two mic inputs and headphone socket. Ideally there will be no extra power supply required (i.e. powered from the Thunderbolt cable)

I've been looking mostly at Thunderbolt interfaces as I believe there will be less issues with latency - (compared to USB)

The Zoom TAC-2R is small enough for his needs and will run without a separate power supply, but I've been told the sound quality isn't great - does anyone have any experience with this unit and ProTools?

The other small interface I saw online is the Resident Audio T2 - again, small, no need for a separate power supply, but I've seen some reviews of this and the T4 where users were having reliability/compatibility issues with ProTools and higher than promised latency - again, does anyone have experience with either of these models?

So the UA Apollo Twin and Focusrite Clarett 2Pre seem like better alternatives from a quality point of view, I know a couple of people who use the Apollo and are very happy - but they are a both a bit bigger than my client would ideally like, and also the need for an external power supply is an issue for him..

The Presonus Firestudio mobile (using a Thunderbolt to firewire adaptor) could be an option - does anyone have an opinion on these for use with a macbook air?

I've been more or less ruling out USB devices because the USB interfaces I've used in the past have too much latency to monitor through Protools and he wants to be able to monitor himself through plug-ins in Protools. But perhaps this is no longer a problem with USB3? Does anyone have any recommendations of a USB interface which can be used in this way with acceptable latency?

Or does anyone have another solution which they could recommend?

many thanks,

Dan