View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 12:09 AM

Default Long-Time PTLE 7/Digi002 user - upgrade time?

I have Digi 002 Rack, and was running PTLE 7.1 until it crashed and I couldn't figure out a fix. I have a rackmount Intel i7 8-core [email protected], 2 GB RAM running Win xp Home Edition sp2.

For the interim I am planning to upload Windows 7 and upgrade to PTLE 8.04. But thinking down the road on a new interface, upgrading to a recent version of PT (which means converting all my old plugs from RTAS- but really not a big deal, I use mostly Massey and PT stuff). My basic questions-

1. Worth salvaging my rackmount? Other than more RAM, would it work OK with current PT? What kind of card would I need, to replace the firewire input I am using now?
2. Best interface? I could spend $4k but looking for budget options that would still be an improvement. Something way better than 002 sound quality and latency wise. Ideally I'd like 16 inputs (could use 8 + ADAT with my PreSonus), headphone jack, SPDIF I/O (for my Alesis Masterlink), talkback would be nice. Could live with 12 inputs 4 + ADAT. I do have twelve Seventh Circle Audio mic pres so maybe I'd be better off with 16 inputs to get the most out of it.
3. Digi 002 has MIDI input. Most current devices don't. is a MIDI to USB the way most everyone goes? I use a lot of MIDI tracks.
4. Best version of PT for this adventure?