View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Subscription for Carbon driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
Avid|Carbon doesn't need a driver because AVB is supported natively by Mac OS (and this is why Avid|Carbon can't be used on Windows.
Thanks for posting the link - I’ll watch it. I just missed the webinar today. I asked the question and as I typed it, the guy said “looks like we are out of questions.” Funny.

Anyway, because I don’t know what class-compliance can accomplish in the AVB setting - here’s my question. It’s a specific question that would leave out any “it should work” or “that’s what plug and play means” stuff that could be twisted to cause problems in the future:

If I didn’t install any Avid software ever - ever - would I still be able to use this device (without its DSP, of course) with any other platform as long as AVB is supported by the OS?

Because what I don’t know about AVB is - if a Mac goes out and polls a Carbon device, does the device indicate that it’s going to present as two drivers? Because it doesn’t come from the MacOS as far as I can tell, so is it the case that the Carbon will tell the Mac all it needs to know?

In any event they aren’t saying it’s great for composers - they are saying it’s great for people who want to record bands with low latency in ProTools. So maybe it’s not the box for me.

The other question for me would be, does the fact that it doesn’t do frame-edge sync have any bearing if one uses a system where ProTools (or the audio clock from the Carbon) is the master, such as one using digital picture (via the video engine or MMC)?