View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Subscription for Carbon driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
All the answers are already in Avid Carbon FAQ
Not really. When the new PT installer is run, who’s to say they don’t put their driver for it in at that moment? This is their proprietary flavor of AVB. And two targets appear when you find it in the network. I suppose the way to know for sure (if they don’t say) is to connect one to a system without the latest PT on it and see if they appear in the network in the same way.

Just saying I would not be best pleased if I bought a 4K box that also required repeated payments. I get the subscription model for software even if I don’t like it, but I want to insure that hardware isn’t subject to that too. Even though I know I’d not have the DSP functions with another platform (unless something utterly insane happens and Steinberg or Apple decide to support it and Avid decides to allow that, or if Avid builds a front-end software app that allows other apps to use its DSP on the way in or out - hey Avid, listening?) I wouldn’t want it to be dead weight. Especially since if I were abandoning ProTools, then it would likely be that lots of other people were for similar reasons, and the hardware would be worth a lot less.