View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Problem converting PT12 EDU license to regular license

Thanks guys ;-)

Yeah, I've been pretty silent recently, dealing with some serious ill health in the family, so not much time to hang out here.

Plus felt I'd probably said more than my fair share ;-)

It just seems most odd that Avid would change T&C so that as soon as students graduate, they have to pay $299 to get onto a regular upgrade plan.

I definitely only paid the $99 to 'convert' both my EDU licenses to regular.

I've spent an hour or so trawling the FAQs and other parts of Avid's site, but can find nothing that clarifies it.

Just so we are 100% clear...

My friends PT12 license is perpetual, bought with EDU eligibility, and his upgrade plan is current at the moment.

The upgrade plan due to run out in three days time, but he should then have the 30 days grace that we all get before it would be a case of buying a reinstatement license.

If he tries to renew via his Avid account, that only gives him the option to renew with EDU eligibility, and that would require him to prove he is still eligible, which he is not, as he graduated last summer.

I was away at the time, so he couldn't contact me to ask my advice. He bought an annual upgrade plan from Sweetwater instead, assuming that would work, but when he tries to apply the activation code within his Avid account he gets a message saying that it isn't a valid code.

I can see nothing in any of the DUC posts here in the licenses section to suggest that anyone else has come across this problem. I suspect there would have been plenty of people talking a lot about it if Avid had quietly changed the T&C so that former students could no longer upgrade without paying a reinstatement penalty.

So it seems quite odd.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)