View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 04:18 AM

Default Re: PT 10 and i5 on 2005 Mac pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This could be bad Here's why:
1-assuming you are getting another Mac, the OS is likely to not be compatible with Pro Tools 10
2-i5 is not a great choice as you need lots of horsepower to do audio(why most of us only recommend i7 quad core and up)
3-ghosting/cloning works well for VERY SIMILAR hardware, but cloning from a Mac Pro tower to any current Mac model is a recipe for failure.

On a good note, chances are very good that the 003 will continue to work, even if you have to upgrade Pro Tools to the current version(lots of 003 users running PT 12.x) The bad side of that is that all your current RTAS and AAX32 plugins will need to be updated to the current AAX64 format(some will be free, but others will be paid updates). Having said that, I have never regretted moving to full 64 bit software as the increased performance is worth it(to me)
Hi Albee, I will still keep OS X on the new machine. This way I can still keep my version of PT10. I was using the i5 as a reference or example. I will be staying with a Mac though. I still use stock plug ins or ones I have been able to download.