View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack as mixing interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Can i ask..Does this apply even without room treatment, because i have seen it repeatedly stated that better conversion D/A is questionable without proper room treatment.

Yes, it very much applies. I have only very minimal treatment in my room. But I do have a large room which makes things a little better, in that sound must travel farther before it bounces off anything and comes back to the listening area to cause comb filtering, etc. So when music is played at low volumes, there's not a whole lot getting messed up, although I still struggle with the low end.

But having better converters has definitely helped me hear better what's going on, even in this environment. I went from a 003, and got to try an Mbox 3. Within 1 second, I was blown away by how much better it was. Now I use an HD Omni, which another big leap yet again.

Even without treatment, you will notice much more precise imaging in the stereo field, as well as high end detail, and even more low end.

Having said all that, all this is helped by having halfway decent monitors. I have the KRK VXT8's, which are very nice. There are some less expensive ones like the Yamaha HS8's which are also very good. Try not to go too cheap on the monitors.

But I have had the same monitors through all these listening tests, so that has been consistent, and would not throw anything off.