View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Absolute beginners, Beat Detective / tempo map / backups

Ok, Of course I'll check the manual. It's just that it is hard to find something special in a manual of more than 1,000 pages , and there is indeed a language barrier in that I could set up PT in my native language, but the manual is in English.
Yesterday, I had been trying to find how I could make disappear a notice that an audio track I previously had used wasn't available and could not be linked to the session. I gave up finally. I just did not get what they are saying to this. Just as an example.
Back to this topic. I believe I am clear about the BD, and the tempo mapping, having seen some tutorials in YT. (I can only recommend to check the topics there first, because usually you can watch how the tutor does his things and miracles.
I said in the end of my last post in this thread, that I had to "save" my old drum track which I had messed up concerning timing. It was very easy.
Now this is for other newbies:
Protools saves, similar to Sibelius, with each time you save your session / project, the last version in a backup folder.
With Sibelius, is it even the same data format ".sib", just another folder than the actual scores.
With ProTools, it is not only a special backup folder, but the data format runs like ".bak.000.ptx". See the screenshot. Now similar to Sibelius, you can just doubleclick on the .bak file you think it contains the version you need (I recommend the date of change is being displayed in the file explorer), and ProTools will be launched and that version will be opened.
As in my case, I just exported the MIDI data of my drum, giving it a name that I am sure to recall in the next 100 years, and them I am ready to import that .mid in the session I wish to restore.
If there's anyone who knows an easier way to do this, please reply here. For the other newbies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Session File Backups.jpg (67.0 KB, 0 views)