View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Why 32 bit audio clipped at playback? What's the bit depth of an audio interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Like many of your questions you could answer this by going and reading how stuff works. And I'll repeat amagras' question... What are you really trying to do? Besides just flood this forum with weird questions. What are you actually trying to use Pro Tools to do?

The analog circuits have no concept of bits. And you can't really talk about 0dB. What do you mean? 0dBFS? 0dBV? All concepts a good book on audio engineering will cover. And just understanding those concepts properly likely self-answer many questions here.

There is really no such thing as a 32-bit float DAC. You'll have a 24-bit fixed point or similar DAC and the maximum level that can output of that is the very definition of 0dBFS. How a 24-bit fixed number maps to/within the range of a 32-bit or 64-bit IEEE floating point number is something you can Google. That has nothing to do with audio per se.
I know I said this in another thread here with Rockman413 - he does this same thing over on Motunation which is the forum for Digital Performer and myriad other MOTU material. I've been trying to figure out what his game is other than being allergic to Google or logical thought.

Maybe he just wants to be spoon-fed?

QAPLA!