View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Plugin Reverbs vs Outboard Reverbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I posted a question about this over on the Gear Slutz forums and nobody ever responded. So maybe somebody can clear something up for me here.

Everybody over there was agreeing that outboard digital reverbs were superior to any plug-ins including Altiverb, TL Space and etc.

I don't own any fancy hardware reverbs to really say whether this is true or not. But what I don't get, is why this is the case (if that statement is true). I mean, aren't hardware reverbs basically a small computer running digital reverb emulations? Why would this be so superior to having your main computer run the emulations? Is it that the plug-in algorithms aren't as good as the hardware ones yet?--But have the potential to be just as good or better.

I would completely understand if somebody said that an actual reverb plate that they were using for their studio sounded better than their digital reverb plate. But isn't digital reverb, digital reverb whether it is in a reverb module or in a plug-in?
Hi,

I can't really give you the whole reason why! but i have a Lexicon 224 and it just sounds right every-time i use it. mostly on lead vocal and it sounds better than any plugin or Impulse response i've even tried.

I also have 2 Eventide DSP4000/4500 SE and those have effects and do stuff that i haven't managed to find on any plugin. their standard reverbs are great and just about the same as any top quality plugin but the other multi-fx are in their own league.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.