View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Idea - Channel Module with Artist/S1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The "knob" module is the Dock.
There are 8 of them. Plus it acts like a mini MTM unit.

If you've never gathered why the C4 was discontinued it was because there was no demand. I know the ins-outs of the C4 situation because back in 2004/2005, Mackie tried to get me to consult on it.

The Dock can supply the Console 1 functions. The Console 1 supplies info on one channel and since it has no touchscreen has to divide by process type. The Dock has the dynamic nature of the touchscreen so it can update to what process type needs to be controlled and reuse the 8 knobs (and multiple pages of control.)

What you aren't getting is cost of manufacturing and demand. High cost of manufacturing, low demand. They already have the Dock. Have you used one? Have you used the S6 Knob module? The Dock (and now the S1) is clever in that it splits the cost so it seems less expensive by making the touchscreen a separate 3rd party purchase. The S6 Knob module has a little screen per every knob. 32 little screens and 32 touch-sensitive knobs with colour feedback. In manufacturing, the single strip screen on the Artist Mix is way cheaper than doing multiple little screens. And the failure rate will go up too with more parts.

What would be your layout for an "Artist Knob module" and at what cost do you think it should sell for? If you take a moment from just coveting the S6 knob module, you'll see it's not feasible or demanded. They streamlined the Artist/MC series for a reason -- a lot of the products had very low demand and keeping a manufacturing line increases cost for low quantity production. An Artist Knob module would be one more product to put Avid closer to bankruptcy.
If you don't use a Dock daily, I suggest getting deeply involved in it.
I have and use the Dock and the Mix and Console 1. Of course there is always concerns about production costs and demand. Thats a given. I don't have access to usage or survey numbers on current or potential product lines. Your experience with C4 suggests maybe no appetite for lots of knobs module.

Again the general idea apparently has been with Artist Level, is to draw inspiration from the S6 - motorized faders seem good (Mix/S1), screen with knobs and transport controls and soft keys seem good (Dock) - lots of knobs with knob module for immediate access without paging/menu diving to more than 8 knobs for plugin parameters seems appealing too. Apparently S6 users like them.

On a constructive note - off of your question - I would think it would sit beside the Artist Mix/S1. Perhaps for some if budget was an issue - they might go for 8 faders and 32 knobs beside each other and some would prefer two Mix's/S1's. Again speculating but cost would be in the range of a dock or mix or S1 - no motorized faders but more knobs/displays etc.

But of course to state the obvious and is true of any idea - if numbers don't support business case then no-one will pursue - but then again this is a user forum where people exchange ideas without having access to survey/usage numbers.

And there is low hanging fruit to pull from the competition and the S6 to speculate about.

Last edited by sjgam; 10-09-2019 at 06:09 PM.