View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Splitting long session into shorter ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbond27 View Post
I have a drum tracking session, which is about 5 hours long. I'd like to save smaller portions of it to separate sessions, with separate audio files for each session (to reduce load time).

What would be the best way to do this?
1. Do a "Save As" for each session needed.
2. In each of these new sessions, edit them so that only the material you want is showing in the timeline. Then select and remove (not delete!) unused clips. You may need to do this a few times, even closing and then reopening the sessions. (this is an old "bug" that sometimes comes up)
3. Then do a Save Session Copy for each session and be sure to check the Audio Files box in the dialog.

Now you've got individual sessions, each with their own audio files folder containing only the audio needed for that session.

Once all sessions have been confirmed to open and reference their specific audio files folder, you can delete the original. I like to put the original in the trash, but DO NOT empty the trash until all verifications are complete. PT can't use a file that's in the trash, so this is a way of testing without deleting the original yet.

To minimize the files further, you could follow up by using the Compact command in the clip bin menu to trim off excess data not needed. Do this ONLY to the sessions once you made your Save Session Copy versions.

Of course for live shows, having everything in one session isn't avoidable, but for all studio work, I DO NOT share session files between songs to avoid this "hassle".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.